I made this infographic because I was feeling a bit inspired by all that goes on this time of year in our southern city. Maybe it is your first round of Holiday celebrations in K-Town, or maybe it is your twentieth, either way may you find many things to enjoy this season with those you love! Hope to see you around town soon…
Wondering what to do with the the spare change jangling around in your pocket?
You can put it to good use this holiday season, by donating to the Arthritis Foundation’s Jingle Bell Walk/Run. I will be suited up with jingle bells galore to walk with my furry friend, Xena, and the Team Smokey from UT’s Veterinary Small Animal Clinic.
The walk is scheduled for Saturday, December 14th, 2013 at 10am. You can join Team Smokey or you can help out with a small donation and I will do the walking for you! I have watched a family member suffer from rheumatoid arthritis; folks I can tell you the pain is no joke. I am proud to have an opportunity to be a small part of a great cause- to find better ways to manage arthritis pain and to find a cure for those suffering.
So go ahead, get into the Jingle spirit, and support me and Team Smokey!
Written by, Shannon Foster-Boline
Who doesn’t think that their pup is the cutest ever?
Well now you have a chance to prove that assumption to be true. To put your bite where bark is for once and take a bite out of the competition! Saturday, March 2nd, 2013 is the 6th Annual Mardi Growl Parade and Festival, hosted by Friends of Young-Williams Animal Center and the City of Knoxville (all proceeds benefit Young-Williams Animal Center). With a parade of pups downtown, costume contests, owner-pet look alike contests, there is just too much furry fun to bark about.
Early registration has passed but don’t growl about it, there is still plenty of time to get in the puppy mix!
Current registration fees and Day-of-Event Registration cost is $20 per pet
- Online Registration Form – click here to register and pay online
- Printed Registration Form – click here to download registration form to print and mail
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Day-of-Event Registration begins at 9 a.m.
Sixth Annual Costume Parade for Dogs
PARADE BEGINS at the PetSafe Downtown Dog Park on the corner of Summit Hill Drive & Central Ave., continues through the Old City to Jackson Ave., then to Gay St., then to Clinch Ave., then to Market St. and then to Union Ave. PARADE ENDS at Market Square.
12 NOON to 2 PM
Festivities on Market Square
- Parade Prizes for Best Costume, Best Naked Dog, Dog/Owner Look Alike, Best Vol Spirit, Most Congenial
- $10 Microchips and Rabies Vaccinations
Pet-Related Product Vendors
Parking is free in the City’s Market Square, State Street and Locust Street garages, and on meters, from 6 p.m. weekdays and all day on weekends – except for specific special events.
Click here to view downtown parking map in PDF format.
Personally, I think this fur baby will win it all but then I may be a little biased!
**Registration information and online forms courtesy of the City of Knoxville and Young-Williams’ websites.
By Shannon Foster-Boline
Thanksgiving Weekend Here We Come!
As soon as midnight hits on Thursday, November 22nd the Holidays will officially be here! If you are looking for something to do for Thanksgiving weekend (aside from eating lots of turkey of course), below I have found 22 activities you can choose from starting on November 22nd. There is a little something for everyone.
For the Physical Activity seekers:
- Hot to Trot 5K/10K/Fun Run- November 22nd in Turkey Creek.
- BlueCross Autumnfest 8k, 2 Mile Walk, and Little Gobbler Run- November 22nd, World’s Fair Park .
- WDVX Ho-Ho-Hoedown- November 23rd on Market Square in downtown Knoxville.
- Saturday Shop Ride– November 24th, at The Bike Zoo, Knoxville.
- Winter on the Wing- November 24th, at Ijams Nature Center, Knoxville.
- Knoxville Walking Tours: Gunslingers & History- November 23rd-25th, Knoxville
- Regal Celebration of Lights- November 23rd, Knoxville.
- Thanksgiving at the Titanic Museum- November 22nd-24th, at the Titanic Museum in Pigeon Forge.
- Thanksgiving Train Rides- November 23rd-24th, Secret City Scenic Excursion Train in Oak Ridge.
- Knoxville’s Holidays on Ice- November 23rd-25th- January 6th on Market Square, Knoxville.
- Zen and the Art of Japan- November 22nd-December 31st, McClung Museum.
- UT Football: UT vs Kentucky- November 24th, Neyland Stadium, Knoxville.
- Candlelit Concert Series- November 22nd-29th at The Orangery, Knoxville.
- Jelani Eddington Organ Concert- November 25th, Tennessee Theatre, Knoxville.
Activities to get you in the mood for Christmas:
- Christmas Train Rides- November 23rd-24th, Three Rivers Rambler on Neyland Drive, Knoxville.
- 28th Annual Fantasy of Trees- November 21st-25th, Knoxville Convention Center.
- Shadrack’s Christmas Wonderland- Open Nightly through January 6th at Tennessee Smokies Baseball Stadium, Kodak
- Santa’s Wonderland- November 23rd-25th and daily through December at Bass Pro Shops, Kodak.
- Handel’s Messiah by Crown College Choir- November 25th at the Temple Baptist Church Auditorium.
- Small Town Christmas- November 24th in Sweetwater.
- Glass Blowing Classes- November 23rd-December 31st, Marble City Glassworks, Knoxville.
- Toys for Tots- November 22nd-December 17th, Drop off site at Rita’s Italian Ice, Market Square Knoxville.
I hope everyone has a safe and wonderful Thanksgiving!
By Shannon Foster-Boline
If you enjoy any of the following: beautiful homes, historic gossip, stories or cake, then this is the event for you!
On Saturday, October 14th 2012, from 2-5pm the Mabry-Hazen House will be celebrating the incomparable Evelyn Hazen’s birthday, and you my friend, have the chance to WIN two FREE tickets! Read on…
A quick history
- The Mabry-Hazen House, built in 1858, is perched on the highest hill east of downtown Knoxville.
- Strategically placed with excellent views of the river and city, the home played a key role in the Civil War.
- The property was occupied by three generations of the same family for over 130 years.
- Upon Evelyn Hazen’s death she left it specifically to be used as a museum. The museum has one of the largest original family collections in America.
- Every year there are multiple celebrations and events that keep the history of this home, and Knoxville, alive and well.
For this year’s Evelyn Hazen Birthday party, renowned local author Jack Neely, will be the key note speaker. If you have ever had the pleasure of reading Mr. Neely’s column in the Metro Pulse, “Secret History” , or heard Mr. Neely speak at other events, then you will understand that his keynote talk will be time well spent (and full of more than a few good chuckles). He is sure to share some insights from his recently penned book, “Market Square: A History of the Most Democratic Place on Earth” which explores Knoxville’s well-known Market Square, along with the relationship of the Mabry’s role in its’ development.
Of course, the history of this home is not all Civil War stories and Market Square development, it is also full of the lovely Ms Evelyn Hazen’s own scandals and achievements. A 2010 blog post by Cynthia Moxley, aptly captures the details of one of Knoxville’s most prominent twentieth century scandals and paints a picture of what to expect at the celebration.
The old saying, “Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned,” could not apply more aptly to anyone than it does to Evelyn Hazen. Born into a wealthy Knoxville family in 1899, Hazen was the first woman to file suit against a former ...(read more)
Knoxvillians, have your cake and eat it too, when you win two FREE tickets to the event! Answer a few trivia questions below and you will be entered to WIN!
[contact-form] [contact-field label=”Name” type=”name” required=”true” /] [contact-field label=”Email” type=”email” required=”true” /] [contact-field label=”What year was the Mabry Hazen House built?” type=”radio” required=”true” options=”1958,1858,1758,1458″ /] [contact-field label=”Who is the keynote speaker at the Evelyn Hazen Birthday celebration?” type=”radio” required=”true” options=”Dr. Suess,Govenor Haslam,Genral Lee,Jack Neely” /] [contact-field label=”Evelyn Hazen was involved in a scandal regarding:” type=”radio” required=”true” options=”a fashion faux pas,her political viewpoint,a relationship,her taxes” /][contact-field label=”Do you like cake?” type=”radio” required=”true” options=”Yes,No” /] [/contact-form]
Tickets can also be purchased online at the Mabry Hazen House website.Contest runs from October 8, 2012 to October 12, 2012. Winner to be randomly selected from entries on October 12 at 4:00pm at the CBWW West Town office location, and winner will be contacted via email. The winner’s name will be posted on the Facebook page for Shannon Foster Real Estate Professional. Tickets to the Evelyn Hazen Birthday Celebration are valued at $20. Winner doesn’t have to present to win. Post by Shannon Foster-Boline